Friday, March 9, 2018 - 4:00am to Sunday, March 11, 2018 - 4:00pm
A YOUth LEADing the World facilitator training is happening this coming March 9 to 11 at Selkirk College in Castlegar, BC. This facilitator training is for: All people 12 years on up, adults included!
What You will learn in the Facilitation Training :
- the ability to create change in your own community and learn how to help others to do the same.
- the skills to run a Youth Leading the World Congress in your school or community and spread the knowledge and skills to a wider audience.
- how to use opportunities like the training to meet and connect with other young people who are passionate about making a positive impact on the environment and their communities.
SKILLS YOU WILL LEARN
- Presentation skills
- Networking skills
- Leadership skills
- Public speaking skills
- Communication and digital media skills
- Skills to engage and inspire other young people Program Outline
- Wake up call - understanding your eco-footprint and up-to-date science on the state of the planet.
- Digging deeper - strategic questioning and deep listening
- Daydreaming with purpose - creative visioning for a fair and sustainable future.
- Bold Brainstorming - throwing away SMART goals and reaching for VIBRANT goals
- Serious fun - playing games with meaning
What is the YLTW Congress?
Local and Global Challenges: Participants workshop the “Pulse of the Planet” learning and discussing local and global sustainability challenges such as water, energy, food and biodiversity. They look at their own eco-footprint and create visions for a more sustainable community. This day is about coming to terms with the depth of these challenges.
Be the Change: Participants brainstorm ideas for change with a workshop called “One Planet Living Plan”. They discuss and workshop social innovations for sustainability, share ideas with other YLTW locations and hear inspiring stories of change. They then begin their own action planning to achieve their sustainable visions.
Begin it Now: Participants facilitate their own Youth-led Community Forum for local Government and businesses, parents, teachers, principals and the public. Being designed and run by youth the idea is for them to get buy in for their projects and begin achieving their sustainability goals.
YOUTH ACTION PLANS
Engaging participants in designing locally relevant systems for follow-up support as they implement their action plans is a critical success
factor for YLTW. The process for doing this is built into the YLTW Congress. In 2007 OzGREEN won the Eureka Prize for our Youth in Action programs. These programs (launched at YLTW congresses) demonstrated that young people can drive the transition to sustainability in their communities. Youth in
Action begins where other programs finish with young people learning to be sustainability leaders by designing and undertaking their own projects.